1. Supporting Category
This program only supports general scholars and senior scholars.
This scholarship covers, in general, one academic year of study.
3. Language Instruction
Scholarship recipients who are admitted into Chinese-taught programs and who are without adequate Chinese proficiency are required to get the approval from both CSC and UNESCO for one academic year Chinese language study.
The Great Wall Program provides a full scholarship which covers tuition waiver, accommodation, stipend, and comprehensive medical insurance. Please refer to Introduction to CGS—Coverage and Standard for details of each item.
UNESCO covers international travel fare, a monthly pocket allowance and a termination allowance. For details please refer to the Announcement Letter at http://www.unesco.org/new/en/fellowships/programmes/unescopeoples-republic-of-china-the-great-wall-co-sponsored-fellowships-programme/
Where to Apply
You should apply to the National Commission for UNESCO in your home country.
When to Apply
You need to apply between early January and early April. Please consult the National Commission for UNESCO in your home country for the specific deadline of each year.
1. Applicant must be a citizen of a ed countryas listed below
Invited Member States
AFRICA – 46 Member States:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
ASIA AND THE PACIFIC – 38 Member States:
Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Niue, Palau, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Viet Nam
ARAB STATES – 13 Member States:
Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, Yemen
LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBEAN – 26 Member States:
Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Venezuela
EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA – 12 Member States:
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Ukraine
2. Applicant must not be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China
3. Applicant must be in good health, both physically and mentally
4. Applicant must be a holder of bachelor’s or master’s degree or their equivalent
5. be under the age of 45 and have a high school diploma （or higher） when applying for the general scholar programs;
6. be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor （or above） under the age of 50 when applying for the senior scholar programs.
Step 1– Apply to the National Commission for UNESCO in your home country for CGS opportunity;
Step 2–Apply to your target university for the Pre-admission Letter once recommended by UNESCO as an eligible candidate （you will receive an Award Letter for CGS Candidate;
Step 3 –Complete the online application procedure at CGS Information System （Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in）, submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy. Please consult the National Commission for UNESCO in your home country for Instructions of CGS Information System and Agency Number;
Step 4 –Submit all your application documents to the National Commission for UNESCO in your home country before the deadline.
Only applications of recommended candidates from UNESCO will be considered. Successful candidates who have been pre-admitted by a university will receive an official admission notice to confirm their placement in the pre-admitting university. Other successful candidates will receive university placement as assigned by CSC.
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship（in Chinese or English）; with 3 photos
2. Notarized highest diploma;
Prospective diploma recipients must submit official document issued by the university of your current enrollmentto prove your student status or expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations;
3. Academic transcripts （in Chinese or English）;
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. Two Recommendation Letters （in Chinese or English）;
Applicants for the senior fellowshipprograms must submit two recommendation letters by professors or associate professors;
5. A CD of your own works （only required for arts students）;
Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of their own musical works. Applicants for the fine arts programs must submit a CD of their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.
6. A Study Plan or Research Proposal （in Chinese or English）;
This should be a minimum of 500 words;
7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form （photocopy）, （in English. Please downloadfrom http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org）. The physical examination must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant will beconsidered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
8. The copy of Pre-admission Letter from designated Chinese university （optional）;
9. The copy of valid HSK Certificate（optional）.
All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 6.1 to 6.9.
You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.
No application documents will be returned.
1. Application documents of recommended candidates from UNESCO will be considered by CSC for eligibility and qualification. Ineligible or incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. Qualified applications will be sent to universities for placement. Based on various factors, such as the different scholarship funding requirements of every country, the host university’s teaching capacity, study length and applicants’ criteria, CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to the candidate’s host university, field of study, supporting categories and duration of scholarship. Applications enclosed with the Pre-admission Letter will be sent to the universities who issued that Letter for placement confirmation.
3. After placement confirmation by Chinese universities, scholarship recipients will get Chinese government scholarships to study in China with approval by CSC. Each scholarship recipient will be granted with no more than one scholarship.
4. After reviewing the placement results andapproving the List of Scholarship Recipients, CSC willsend the admission documents to the Permanent Delegation of the P. R. China to UNESCO before July 31st. The Permanent Delegation of the P. R. China to UNESCO will notify UNESCO of the result. UNESCO will send an award letter to all successful applicants with the admission documents （List of Scholarship Recipients and Visa Application Form for Study in China （JW201））.
5. Scholarship recipients shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
Mr. Jhaycee Manansala （Fellowship Program Section, UNESCO）
Need Scholarship Help? Join the Discussion.